The ski resort called Squaw Valley located in Olympic Valley has come out with a detailed press release on the issue of coliform and e-coli bacteria in its drinking water supplies. It was reported on November 8th, that the upper mountain section of the Squaw Valley resort possibly had its water system compromised by dangerous bacteria. The Placer County Department of Environmental Health was notified as soon as possible on the 8th.
Immediate remediation action has been taken since it was confirmed that dangerous levels of bacteria were found in the upper mountain drinking water supply wells. According to the latest tests and reports, three of the four drinking water wells at the Squaw Valley Upper Mountain resort are now free of e-coli bacteria. They also show minute amounts of coliform bacteria.
Due to the fact that one well is still contaminated and the other three still have trace amounts of coliform bacteria, all restaurants at the upper mountain section of Squaw Valley Ski Resort are closed until further notice. A ban on drinking any of the water at upper mountain is also in effect for all skiers until the problem is further resolved. So far, Squaw Valley is happy to report that no health issues or outbreaks of illnesses have been reported. Skiing meanwhile is unaffected for local skiers and visitors. Top to bottom skiing at upper mountain remains open and has not been impacted by the bacteria in the water supply wells.
The reason the drinking water supply wells at upper mountain are contaminated was due to the fact that a major rain storm struck the Olympic Valley and other outlying areas in California. It led to an overflow of water into the water supply and treatment systems that were just recently upgraded in Placer County. The upper mountain valley water supply wells were compromised when contaminated runoff seeped into the wells.
Squaw Valley has taken all precautions to protect the public and staff. No other water systems have been impacted or contaminated by the rain storm of October. Skiers at Upper Mountain continue to receive free bottled water for drinking. The contaminated water has been quarantined and was never exposed to the public.